Thank you to everyone who completed the survey and attended the online meeting that we held in June about our proposal to close the branch surgery at Long Causeway, Adel. All your feedback was included as part of our application to NHS Leeds Clinical Commissioning Group
The CCG’s Primary Care Commissioning Committee approved our application and the branch surgery will formally close on 31 March 2021. From this date, all our patients will receive services from our main site at Alwoodley Medical Centre, as well as telephone, online and video consultations.
The committee had a lengthy discussion, including about changes in general practice that have resulted from the coronavirus pandemic, and how that has transformed the way patients access services by using more online and video consultations. However, the committee did recognise that the closure would have a greater impact on some of our patients and have advised that there should be a robust and sustainable transport solution to support these patients to access the main site which the practice will work collaboratively with the CCG to establish. The committee also advised us that we should continue to work with the local community pharmacy.
We’d like to thank you for the really positive comments about your care and the services we offer, and we hope that you will want to stay registered with our practice beyond 31 March 2021. However, should you wish to register with another practice, please access https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/find-a-gp to review practices in the local area.
You can download the report we submitted to the CCG here:
You can access the recording of the engagement meeting held on 10th June 2020 here:
Meeting Voice Recognition transcript.pdf
We are grateful to everyone who joined us on the engagement event this evening and are grateful for the opportunity to hear your views.
Please provide us with feedback and any further comments on the event here: https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/AdelEventEval/
A summary of frequently asked questions can be downloaded below.
Frequently Asked Questions - Adel Surgery - 20200610.pdf
To join tonights session on-line please go to:
Meeting ID: 886 1661 4683
We wanted to take the opportunity to update all patients regarding Adel surgery.
The engagement events planned for March had to be cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We have committed to engaging as best as possible and can now confirm that an online engagement event will take place on Wednesday 10th June at 7pm. The event video/audio will be hosted online to maximise accessibility and you will be able to submit questions both in advance and during the event.
Register to attend at https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/AdelClosure/
The reports for the meeting:
Our GP practice was committed to carrying out an open and transparent engagement with our patients on our proposal to close Adel Surgery. As we’re sure our patients will understand the emergence of the COVID-19 outbreak has caused significant disruption to people’s lives and for us has resulted in some significant changes that we’ve had to put in place really quickly.
Our intention was to extend the date of the engagement so that we could hold, at the very least, one face to face event however there appears to be little possibility of a return to normal life for the foreseeable future. Even if the outbreak ends sooner, the impact of post-pandemic support will add further pressure on our GP practices as well as other services. This means we would not be able to commit to planning and running any formal events as it would inappropriate to divert our clinical staff away from patient care. This leaves us in a really difficult situation as we concentrate our resources on dealing with the pandemic. With this in mind, we’re realistically unable to pull together an analysis of people’s responses until mid-May. We appreciate this may create a degree of uncertainty but we ask for your understanding at this difficult time for all those in frontline services.
We remain committed to completing the engagement as fully as possible and we will need to have provided evidence to NHS Leeds CCG by July to allow them to make a decision on what future service provision might be needed in the area. Again this will be difficult for them to plan while dealing with the pandemic. This, however, must be weighed against the lease on the premises expiring in March 2021, with a decision on the lease being necessary by October 2020.
If after the analysis we feel there’s a need to hold any follow up event, this would out of necessity have to be done online. We understand this would exclude those who aren’t confident with digital tools or those who aren’t online at all. Again this is to minimise public health risk. However we’ll work with local councillors so that we can encourage people to share any questions they have through non-digital means.
We appreciate that these are highly unusual circumstances, and want to work together to find a way forward. We will consider any concerns raised, as indeed will NHS Leeds CCG, when we’ve finalised the analysis of responses. We are disappointed that COVID-19 has led to us having to cancel the public meetings and with little hope of holding any such meetings within the timescales for our lease expiring.
We will update our patients on our next steps and this will be based on the findings from the independent analysis which will form the focus for any online engagement event.
We appreciate everyone’s patience during these unprecedented times for all of us.
Alwoodley Medical Centre is taking measures to protect patients and their staff. This includes changes to the way appointments are booked, reducing face to face appointments and increasing telephone/video consultations. We need to introduce additional temporary measures for business continuity and to make best use of our available workforce. In our case this means that our smaller branch site at Adel needs to close temporarily.
Due to the government coronavirus advice the two consultation events regarding Adel surgery have been cancelled for public and patient safety.
You can still:
This survey runs from Monday 24 February 2020 until midnight on Sunday 5 April 2020.
We are asking for the views of our patients for our proposals to close our branch surgery at Long Causeway, Adel (Adel Surgery). This survey runs from Monday 24 February 2020 until midnight on Sunday 5 April 2020.
The reasons behind our proposal:
- To allow us to bring all our services and resources under one roof and enable us to continue to improve the excellent standard of care we offer our patients.
- To enable us to use our staff more efficiently so that they can see all patients at one site without any need to travel between the two practices.
- To enable us to increase the number of appointments offered at Alwoodley to help accommodate demand.
- Adel Surgery is not fit for the purpose of delivering modern, high quality healthcare and is in need of substantial investment, with a particular need to bring it up to the standards needed to support those with a disability.
- Figures show that Alwoodley patients used Adel Surgery 4676 times and the Alwoodley Surgery 56990 times during the last 12 months and Adel patients have been seen at Alwoodley 5574 times and at the Adel surgery only 4145 times. This shows that a higher percentage of appointments at the Adel site are taken up by patients who are nearer to the Alwoodley site.
- We are rated as ‘Good’ by the Care Quality Commission (CQC). Our proposal would allow us to respond to well documented staffing issues in the NHS so that we can continue to provide the best possible care for our patients.
Find out more about our proposal
Before you share your views, you may want to read through the following:
- Our letter to all households where at least one person is registered to Alwoodley Medical Practice – both our main site and branch surgery at Adel
- Our engagement document which provides more background to our proposal and your options should you choose to register with another neighbouring practice
- Our engagement plan which demonstrates how we’ve taken every opportunity to let people know about our proposal and encouraged you to share your views
Share your views on our proposal
You can share your views in the following ways:
- Complete our online survey: https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/adelsurgery/
- Pick up a printed copy of our survey from either Alwoodley or Adel and post or return the completed form to us
- Come along to one of our public meetings as follows
- Wednesday 25th March 2020, 1800-1900, Alwoodley Medical Centre, Saxon Mount, Leeds, LS17 5DT
- Thursday 2nd April 2020, 1400-1500, The Alwoodley Room, Weetwood hall conference centre.
We look forward to hearing from you. Please remember to share your views before the survey closes at midnight on Sunday 5 April